Wikimania Takes Manhattan II
Wikimania Takes Manhattan II: Adirondack Wiki-Train is a special pre-Wikimania trip from New York City to Montreal, departing on Tuesday August 8, 2017 in time for the Preconference.
Purchase your $30 ticket at bit.ly/wiki-train, a 50% subsidized discount!
It is a day-long train trip mostly through the beautiful Upstate New York countryside (7:15 am - 6:30pm), and we can probably get an exclusive car for Wikimedians (this involves a US-Canada border crossing).
This event is a successor to the 2012 Wikimania Takes Manhattan trip between New York City and Washington, DC.
We are primarily coordinating the New York City → Montreal leg of the trip on Tuesday August 8 as a group activity. We are planning discounted tickets for the one-way trip, $30 instead of approximately $60. Other travel (and accommodation) is on your own.
There is also an option to purchase tickets for a return trip from Montreal → New York City directly after Wikimania, on Monday August 14 (10:20 am - 8:50 pm), for the same price.
Update: We are meeting on Sunday & Monday on NYC museum tours - Wikimania Takes Manhattan II/Museums
Important note for visitors
If there is sufficient interest from visitors, we have the option of organizing, before the train trip, Saturday / Sunday / Monday informal activities in NYC that may include walking tours and special GLAM-Wiki museum visits, etc, as we did in 2012.
The train trip involves a crossing of the US-Canada border (including a passport check), and you will need permission to enter both countries.
Overseas visitors will probably prefer to fly into New York City, and then after Wikimania, to fly out of Montreal.
We will not be able to pay for hotel stays, or anything like that (this is completely unrelated to the scholarship process), although it is possible we can arrange a group rate for a hostel that you pay for yourself.
There is a telegram group: WikimaniaTakesManhattan (join)
- Pharos (talk) 08:03, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 15:46, 1 April 2017 (UTC)
- MusikAnimal (talk) 22:14, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- Aliceba (talk) 18:21, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Megs (talk) 14:48, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- Emjackson42 (talk) 02:03, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- Doctorxgc (talk) 13:03, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:28, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 21:40, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 18:04, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- Kosboot (talk) 19:06, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
- Shanluan (talk) 16:55, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 13:36, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
- BlaueBlüte (talk) 23:12, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
And are you interested in arriving in NYC on Saturday / Sunday / Monday for activities before the train trip? If so, when?
- - I will be there! Missvain (talk) 16:18, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- - sure, change trains in Penn station? Slowking4 (talk) 15:27, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
sounds nice. haven't planned my trip yet Sargoth (talk) 17:15, 14 April 2017 (UTC)Direct flight, unfortunately. Have fun, guys! :)
- - I'm in! ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 17:26, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
- - Not sure (was not planning to attend due to no scholarship $$) but noticed that flying into NYC is almost $200 less than flying into Montreal, so for others who may live west of the Mississippi, maybe WikiNYC might want to let outatowners crash on local members' floors and then catch the train... add a return train trip and this would result in a dramatically lower cost (if not offset by cost of hotel in NYC, of course). Montanabw (talk) 19:14, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
- I am in! Góngora (talk) 14:45, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
- Me too! Viswaprabha (talk) 08:04, 20 May 2017 (UTC)
- Any chance of a return trip being organized? (asking merely for my own personal interest!) ITait (WMF) (talk) 21:55, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- I'm in! I'd also be interested in the hostel mentioned above, for Sunday and Monday nights. Samwilson (talk) 04:51, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- Very tempted (tentative yes, in other words), would be coming up to NYC from DC. Also interested in possible GLAM pre-events in NYC. Uncommon fritillary (talk) 20:52, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- Will be in NY from 3rd August onwards. Please keep me updated on any activities. --Bahnmoeller (talk) 11:20, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- Will be in town with my wife from 3 August onwards. She's leaving on Monday evening. Might be nice to participate in at least one activity. Please keep me updated! Siebrand (talk) 16:52, 13 June 2017 (UTC)
- I'll be taking the group train round-trip! TBD how long I'm in NYC. Mattflaschen-WMF (talk) 01:31, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- Will be in town late night 7th - looking forward to meeting at Penn Station bright and early 8th - Note fellow travellers that Amtrak says 7.15 am in current timetable jarrahtree (talk) 11:47, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
- I'm in! -- Econterms (talk) 15:17, 21 July 2017 (UTC)